Investing is one of the best ways to build wealth over time. But investing can be difficult if you don’t know where to start. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the best investment platforms available today.
As people are becoming increasingly aware of the importance of saving for the future, they are also looking for different ways to invest their money. Many platforms offer investors various options, but deciding which is best suited can be tricky.
Every platform has its pros and cons, so it’s essential to do your research before investing. For example, if you are a beginner investor, an overly complex platform is inadequate. Similarly, a more experienced investor should aim for a platform with more options and features.
In this article, we will describe the best online brokers and trading platforms carefully selected from all those available on the market that we have personally tested one by one; below, you will read the pros and cons of each one so you can make an informed decision.
What are investment or trading platforms anyway?
Investment platforms are websites or software that allow investors to trade securities, such as stocks, funds, currencies and bonds, on the open market.
They can be used for buying and selling investments, as well as for managing portfolios. In addition, most platforms offer a variety of features, including real-time data, charting tools, and live news.
Some platforms also offer educational materials and support services to help investors make the most of their investments.
What are the benefits of investment platforms?
Trading securities on the open market with an investment platform is more effortless. Investment platforms offer a wide variety of features that can help you make the most of your investment. For example, most investment platforms provide access to extensive educational resources and an easy-to-use interface that simplifies trading securities.
Additionally, many investment platforms offer commission-free trading, making them a cost-effective option for those looking to invest small sums in the stock market.
Now that we know what investment platforms are and how they work let’s look at the pros and cons of some of the highest-ranked trading platforms in the world, according to Gainshore.
Aiming to save our readers precious time and ensure they are adequately guided toward the most suitable options, after having analyzed and personally tested dozens of investment and trading platforms, we shortlisted the best options and summarized the strengths and weaknesses of each one of them.
5 Best Investment Platforms for 2023
Unlike most online broker reviews, Gainshore‘s analysis places the needs of savers above all else.
To determine the most convenient offers available, the following features were scrutinized:
- COSTS: trading commissions, withdrawal commissions, spread, transaction fees, corporate actions fees, currency conversion costs etc.
- SERVICES OFFERED: education, guidance, investment research, demo, etc.
- MINIMUM LOTS
- AVAILABILITY OF FRACTIONAL SHARES
- ACCOUNT MINIMUM
- CUSTOMER SUPPORT, QUALITY, AND LANGUAGES OFFERED
- SECURITY STANDARDS AND RELIABILITY
- COUNTRIES’ APPROVAL, REGULATION AND INVESTOR PROTECTION
INTERACTIVE BROKERS – QUALITY AT A LOW COST
Interactive Brokers is the best solution for people who:
- Desire to start with any amount of money and possibly grow over time
- Wish to have the best investment provider among all options available
- Are fluent in English*
Pros of Interactive Brokers:
- Extensive range of instruments available
- Superior Trade Execution
- Available in 220 countries
- Account protection up to $500,000
- No minimum deposit
Cons of Interactive Brokers
- Customer Support is not excellent for non-English speakers
- Can seem intimidating to less experienced investors
- A new account application may require longer than 30 minutes
*French, Italian, Dutch and Spanish could opt for MEXEM to have assistance in their native language.
Mexem uses the same investment platform as Interactive Brokers.
MEXEM – VERY EASY TO OPEN
Mexem is an excellent platform for people who:
- Wish to have the best platform available in Europe
- Need to have support in non-English languages
- Want to have a lighter opening account process
Pros of Mexem
- Great mobile platform
- Free Educational Webinars
- Excellent Charting
- Fast and reliable order execution
Cons of Mexem
- Sophisticated interface can be intimidating
- Minimum lots for mutual funds
FINECO – ALL-IN-ONE SOLUTION
Fineco is ideal for investors who:
- Need to have an all-in-one bank and investment accounts together, including debit, credit cards, and other banking services
- Desire to put their portfolio on auto-pilot mode and invest through periodic savings plans
- Are primarily interested in Funds & ETFs
- Are keen on investing in bonds and fixed-income mutual funds
- Are less than 30 years old or possess savings significant enough – ideally at least €10,000 – to amortize fixed costs
Pros of Fineco
- Wide offer of mutual funds and ETFs
- Automated investing
- Solid financial institution
- Account protection up to €100,000
Cons of Fineco
- Available only to residents in Italy and the UK
- Fixed maintenance fees and high transaction costs for smaller investors*
- Bank wire transfer only
- Limited number of non-US stocks available, no fractional shares
*Certain fees can be eliminated or reduced upon certain conditions. No account fees shall apply to people under 30. Follow us to know more.
DEGIRO – EASY AND COMPREHENSIVE
Perfect for those who:
- Want to have a large offer of instruments, low costs, and an easy interface together
- Are keen to have a lighter opening account process
Pros of Degiro
- Low fees
- Excellent customer service
- Extensive offer of instruments available
- Automated tax reports
Cons of Degiro
- Inability to place fixed amount orders requires working out the number of units
- Currency Conversion costs
- No card transfer
ETORO – EASY AND COMPREHENSIVE
A good solution for users who have the following characteristics:
- Beginners willing to have fun and learn
- Desire to invest or speculate with small starting amounts
- Keen to social trading
Pros of eToro
- Advanced charting and technical analysis tool
- Twenty supported languages, including Arabic, Russian and Chinese
- No transaction fees
- Competitive spread
Cons of eToro
- Not the most professional
- Limited range of Stocks, Funds & ETFs
- High currency conversion rates